Mr D Dunlop Subject Leader for Design Technology
Miss N Furnell Teacher of Design Technology
Miss L Bateson Teacher of Food Technology
Mr C James Teacher of Design Technology (and Assistant Learning Co-ordinator for Years 8 and 9)
Mrs J Horn Technology Technician
Introduction to Key Stage 3 Technology
Design and Technology at Hutton is a successful department which is forward thinking in its delivery at all key stages. Our aims are to provide opportunities for students to:
- Enjoy turning ideas into reality.
- To strive for successful outcomes.
- Be creative and develop thinking skills.
- Work independently and develop self-esteem.
- To develop attitudes of curiosity, enquiry, initiative, ingenuity, resourcefulness.
- To experience a range of different material areas. Graphics, resistant materials, food, and control technology.
The students have two one hour lessons of technology per week. These lessons will be delivered in specialist rooms.
Topics students will study
Introduction to workshop – acrylic key ring.
Lever based mechanical toy
Introduction to food technology
Introduction to CAD CAM
Further Design Skills
Introduction to graphic design
Introduction to metalwork and hot working
Development of workshop skills – kitchen utensils
Introduction to CAD
Electronics and product design
Design influences – Clock
Mechanisms - Advanced workshop practice
Advanced CAD CAM
How students will be assessed
Students will be assessed formatively throughout the projects; the boys will be given an opportunity to improve the quality of their work and their attainment grade. The final year attainment will be achieved through various aspects of each design and make project.